Sunday, November 15, 2015

Soap Changes


Soap Changes:
These were the additive and subtractive changes to one of my soap carvings.  The goal was to make the animal figure into something unrecognizable to the cheetah.


Change #1: Subtractive
I put my soap into a container of ocean salt water for 3.5 hours, without touching it. It is subtractive because the water ate away at the soap.





Change #2: Additive
I added pink food coloring to the soap, the soap gained a color and gained the dye on it.
I then spread it around the body of the soap.



Change #3: Additive:                                                           
I poured some sand on top of the soap.  
It gained the sand on to it.


  Change: #4: Subtractive:
I put the soap in the microwave for 15 seconds to melt the top layer of the dye and soap.  Because it lost a small layer, it was subtractive.


  Change: #5: Subtractive and Additive:
I wiped the excess dye and melted soap off the figure, causing the figure to lose the excess material, however, the addition of dye and soap onto the paper towel was additive because the paper towel is part of the sculpture.


  Change: #6: Subtractive:
I sawed the body in half and in a bunch of pieces, causing it to lose its original shape and form.


  Change: #7: Additive:
After sawing up the figure, I wrapped it in the paper towel and proceeded to smash it evenly with a hammer. It is additive because the soap and paper towel became one when they were smashed and stuck together.

 


  Change: #8: Additive and Subtractive:
I burned the paper towel into the soap remains, which caused the burned pieces to adhere to the soap. The paper towel lost mass, while the soap gained the burned embers. 


  Change: #9: Additive:
I poured pink dish soap onto the burned soap paper towel.  The soap was gained, along with a scent.


  Change: #10: Additive:
I added natural objects into the mix, like leaves, to create the feel of a nest.


  Change: #11: Additive and Subractive:
I put most, but not all of the soap into the make-shift nest, so it lost some. I added the Halloween spider web material to hold the shape.


  Final Change: #12: Additive:
I glued mulch onto the base to give it a more natural feel.


No comments:

Post a Comment